Overseas Remittance

Overseas remittance

In case the students in Japan needs to send money overseas, or take money from outside the country.


To transfer money overseas, you will need information of where are you sending, the money to do the tranference, an identification document of yourself, your “Social Security Number” (In Japanese, “My Number Card”, etc. The documents necessary differs from bank to bank, so check it before hand.
(From January 1st, 2016, the Social Security Number “My Number” is required when tranferring money overseas)

Cabinet Office, Government of Japan:Social Security Number

There is also a way to transfer yen to an overseas account. You can control the loss and gain of the exchange rate flunctuation, so it is useful when tranferring great amounts of money overseas.


It is an online payment service. You can transfer money overseas through the internet safely with not so much taxes. A lot of exchange students use this website.

If you have money in your Paypal account, the money will be withdrawn from that. If you don’t, the money you wish to tranfer will be withdrawn from your credit card that is registered in the website.

To transfer money in Paypal, log in to your personal account, type in the e-mail of the person who is receiving the money, the amount of money, and other informations needed. The transferation fee is free, however with currencies that are not dollar, in some cases you will have to pay the fee.


Kyodai Remittance

It is a overseas remittance service. You can do the transaction through e-mail or through the balcony.


It is also possible to use cashing from the credit card, or use the cashing passport.
However, keep in mind that they can not offer you services because of the age limit, or that changes in the exchange rate can happen and that there is the interest rate.

You can also transfer money from the bank’s balcony. In this case, there will be fees of your bank to tranfer the money and the fees of the bank you will be sending money to. The fees are usually between 2,500 yen to 6,000 yen and it differs from the amount of money you will be transferring. The time needed to do the transaction also differs from bank to bank.Also, the exchange rate changes so be careful.


Normally, you will do transaction from the bank’s balcony.
If you are seding money from Japan to an overseas account, there will be fees from the bank you are utilizing (Japan) and fees of the bank your are sending money to (Overseas). Even if the fees of the bank you are using is cheap, the bank you are sending money too might have expensive fees. The amount that will be sent also depends on the exchange rate of the day.

1. Remittance charge

The remittance charge is decided by each bank, but normally is between 2,500 yen and 6,000 yen. It depends on the amount that is being tranferred.
If it is a bank which you have an account in, you can transfer money directly from it so it is convenient. The remittance fees also changes wheter you have an account or not.


2. The fees of the receiving bank

It depends on which bank you are sending money to, but it usually is between 10 dollars and 30 dollars.
The fees will be withdrawn automatically from the money you are transferring or you will need to pay it separately.


3. The applied rate

The applied rate is the TTS rate which the banks decides on (It is a exchange rate that the banks uses to sell foreign currencies to clients). The banks decide on the TTS rate once everyday. (i.e. The U.S dollars are charged 1 yen more than the average price)


4. Things you will need when transferring money

・Information about where are you sending money (the bank name, the branch name, the city name, the country name, the number of the account, the name that is on the account, the receiver’s address, telephone number) or something that shows it.
・The remittance funds (The bank book that you’re using, your “inkan” or cash)
・Identification of the person that is sending the money (Driver’s license, passport, insurance card). With the Social Security and Tax Number System, the documents below are required.
・Your Social Security Number Card, or the notification card. Anything that has the number on it.

The document above are not always required, so please check before hand with your bank if it is necessary.

※Social Security Number
The Social Security Number has 12 digits and every citizen has it. It is used for taxes, preventing disasters and social security. (Started in 2016, January)
Even if you are a foreigner, if you have your residency resgistered in Japan, you will be given the Social Security Number.