Application to be submitted to school for permission to work part-time

Not only in Japan, but also anywhere in the world, studying abroad would cost you more money due to academic fees and living cost than studying in your own country. Thus, quite a few international students seem to be forced to work part-time in their spare times between their school classes to earn money as much as possible to cover their academic and living cost. However, a person with the resident status as a “student” is prohibited from working in principle. Therefore, international students with “Student” resident status must obtain the permission from the Immigration Bureau when before they work part-time.

Application for permission related to working part-time

Application for “Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted under Status of Residence Previously Granted”

If you work part-time during your stay in Japan for study, you have to submit an application form of “Permission to Engage in Activity Other than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted” (free form). If you consider working part-time, submit the application.

About Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted | Ministry of Justice

Conditions for working part-time

The working hours allowed for a pert-time worker who has the resident status of “Student” is, in principle, determined to be not more than 28 hours a week, and not more than eight hours a day in case of long-time work. Even if you follow the time limitation, you are prohibited from engaging in adult-entertainment businesses. You are also prohibited from working at bars or salons that provide entertainment service by having staff sitting with customers or at pachinko parlors or mah-jongg salons, even if you work on miscellaneous jobs such as cleaning and dish washing, therefore, you must be careful when you choose a part-time job.

How to find part-time jobs

Reception of your school

Some colleges/universities help international students find part-time jobs at their sections for student affairs or welfare or co-op store. See the homepage of your school.

Find the list of colleges/universities in Japan

Job information magazine

Job information magazines may be placed around the entrance of convenience stores or supermarkets, almost all of which are available free of charge. Check with the clerk in the store.

Search for job information magazines by regions

Hello Work ( Public Employment Service Office)

The office provides jobseekers with job placement services and consulting services to help them find jobs according to their needs. You can find the list of Hello Work offices and relevant facilities in the homepage of the labor department of each prefecture.

<List of Hello Work offices and relevant facilities>

Typical business establishments of part-time workers in Japan


Generally, part-time workers can find their jobs in the following business establishments in Japan:。

  • Restaurants (including cafés)
  • Convenience stores
  • Offices
  • Cleaning companies
  • Working as language teachers/translators/interpreters

Many international students work at convenience stores and restaurants in which they serve customers, which allows them to improve their Japanese skill through their work. Working as language specialists is also typical for students who have a strength of the capability of speaking a language other than Japanese.

Note that the working hours, employment period and wage vary depending on job types and stores. Furthermore, they do not always recruit part-time workers, so you should directly ask the shop/store/office at which you wish to work.

You may feel afraid to work part-time in an unfamiliar place and be worried about the balance between your job and study. However, you can experience Japanese culture by working part-time in Japan, from which you will learn a lot about the society.